[Advaita-l] Definition of Ashrayatva and Vishayatva

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 01:01:46 EST 2024

Namaste Chandramouli ji,

Thank you for sharing the references. Again, very interesting aspects
brought out in the comments below by Dr Raja and Suryanarayana Shastri. The
natural question it leads to is who is Ishvara in the bhAmati system that
uses the ignorance located in the jIva to create the world. Some answers
are found in the references provided by Dr Raja and S. Shastri themselves.

I checked the commentary to the Vedanta Paribhasha by Anantakrishna
Sastrigal and read what he has to say on the topic.

He says that in the commentary to the siddhAntu bindu, brahmAnanda
sarasvatI says that the determining factor for what is the cause of the
universe is where ignorance resides, and on that basis, it is the jIva that
is the cause of the universe according to vAchaspati miSra - because he
(vAchaspati) holds that ignorance resides in the jIva.

However, Anantakrishna Shastrigal goes on to say that the Kalapataru says
that according to vAchaspati miSra, Brahman is the cause of the universe.

In support, he quotes a verse from the Kalpataru commentary to the
jagatvAcitva-adhikaraNam / bAlAkyadhikaraNam.

The kalpatarukAra writes the following verse on the phrase जगत्कर्तृत्वस्य
च ब्रह्मणोऽन्यत्रासम्भवात् of the bhAmati -

जगत्कर्तृत्वमन्यत्र ब्रह्मणो नेति दुष्यति। वाचस्पतावुपालम्भमनालोच्योचिरे
परे॥
जीवाज्जज्ञे जगत्सर्वं सकारणमिति ब्रुवन्।
क्षिपन् समन्वयं जीवे न लेजे वाक्पतिः कथम्?॥

So, in vAchaspati's view, Brahman is the creator of the world even if
ignorance is located in the jIva.

I don't think this is the support for the vichAra sAgara statement that the
intent of the bhAmatikAra is that Brahman is the locus of ignorance, and it
is notionally said to be located in the jIva on the basis of something
located in the visheShya is notionally said to be located in the vishiShTa
also.

Regards
Venkatraghavan