[Advaita-l] Definition of Ashrayatva and Vishayatva

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 11:17:04 EST 2024

Namaste Venkat Ji,

There does seem to be reference to this topic in Bhamati-Kalpataru. Also
discussed elaborately in his commentary on Vedanta Paribhasha by Sri
Anantakrishna Shastri Ji which also gives reference to Bhamati Kalpataru. A
novel interpretation has been presented by Prof Suryanarayana Shastri  and
Dr Kunhan Raja in their  introduction to Bhamati Chatusutri which I have
copied below. References to the above texts are also available therein. It
would take me quite some time to go through these  texts. If you have the
time, you may like to go through these and post your views here as to
whether they support the view taken in Vichara Sagara.

//

xxxvi

And this is all the more difficult to comprebend in the case of Vacaspati,
who begins his work with due invocation to Bhava, Kartikeya and Ganapati,
and throughout his work betrays little trace of the atheism that is his
apparent conclusion. There is no doubt, however, that the possibility of an
atheistic conclusion must have struck many of his critics, as the author of
the Kalpataru is anxious to make out repeatedly that Vacaspati does
recognise Is'vara and that they are fools who say there is no place for
Isvara in his system. The truth of the matter seems to be this. Ignorance
is bi-polar. It is located somewhere, i.e., it belongs to some one; and it
has a content. Though the jiva is the locus, the content is Isvara. When
ordinarily we use the possessive pronoun 'mine' or his, we imply in the
-person capacity to control what is referred to. Not so in the case of
ignorance; I mean by " my ignorance" the ignorance that is in me, not the
ignorance that I can control. The control of avidya belongs not to me with
my limited powers of knowing and acting, but to the omniscient and
omnipotent Being. Isvara too may be said to be the asraya of ignorance, if
by åsraya is meant the content, but not its locus (ådhara). When,
therefore, it is said that my ignorance creates the universe, it does not
follow that I create the universe; rather does it mean that Isvara, the
content of my ignorance, uses the ignorance that is in me and out of that
as material cause, evolves the world; the ignorance in me, the maya, the
prakṛti is the primal material cause; he who wields it for fashioning the
world, the måyin, the arch-juggler, is Isvara.'

At no time then do we have Isvara without the jīvas or the jivas. without
Isvara. Ignorance is the condition of the existence of both. And when there
is ignorance, it must exist somewhere and it must have a content. When this
polarity of ignorance is resolved, ignorance itself is transcended and
Brahmanhood fully realised. But when ignorance exists, Isvara is the image
which is reflected, as it were, in the various nesciences. The reflections
are the jivas.

( 1 We are indebted to Mahamahopadhyaya Prof. S. Kuppuswami S'astriar,
M.A., I.E.S., for considerahle help in understanding this part of the
doctrine. See further on the same topic, Mahamaho- padhyaya N. S.
Anantakṛṣṇa Sastri's commentary on the Vedanta- paribhasa, first edition,
Calcutta, pp. 2-3. Reference may be made to the Kalpataru, particularly p.
404 ) .

Vacaspati does not hold that the jivas are literally reflections, since
there can he reflection only of what is visible and in what is visible; and
neither Brahman nor avidya can he said to possess visible form.

But he has no objection to using the analogy of reflection extensively. The
diversities of jivas are compared to the diversities of the reflections of
one face in different media, such as a gem, a sword, a mirror. Vacaspati's
own conception of the relation of the jiva to Brahman is that of
finitisation of the infinite. Ether is infinite and all-pervasive; but it
seems to be confined in a pot as it were; and when the pot is moved, though
the pot alone is moved, there seems to be a motion of the ether in it as
well. In the same way Universal Spirit defined by the internal organ etc.,
is the jiva; when the defining adjuncts are got rid of, there is no longer
any difference between the jiva and Brahman. The finitising is bi-polar; at
one pole stands Is'vara and at the other the jiva. It is not that Brahman
is first reflected as Isvara and that the jivas are reflections of this
reflection, or that Isvara is a reflection in one medium and the jivas
reflections in another medium.'

Vacaspati's position in this question of whether the jiva is an avaccheda
or a pratibimba is discussed fully by Appayya Dikṣita in the Parimala, at
the close of I, i, 4, where he shows that Vacaspati favours the
avaccheda-vida. Some advaitins hold that maya is different from avidyas,
that the former is collective and single while the latter are diverse, or
that in the former the sattva constituent is pure, while in the latter it
is impure; and they say that Is'vara is the reflection of Brahman in maya,
while the jivas are the reflections of Brahman in avidya. Snch a view makes
Is'vara very remote and leaves Him little in common with the jivas. For the
various views, see the Siddhantalesasangraha, 1st pariccheda, pp. 66-104
(Kumbakonam edition) // .
Regards