[Advaita-l] Gaudapada and Shankara hold the waking objects to be mithya

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 11:57:42 EDT 2023

Namaste Bhaskar ji,

There are so many questions in your mail that it is quite cumbersome to
reply to each one individually. So, I will only respond in a general
manner. I would request that if you have questions after reading this
email, and you would like me to respond, please keep them to one or two
important ones. Please don't mistake me, but I'm responding in the middle
of a lot of pressing tasks and I want to ensure that I am using my time
effectively.

But before that, I will ask you three questions.

Do you agree that the appearance of the world continues for the jnAni? Do
you agree he has a body after jnAna? Do you agree that a jnAni is
completely free of any bandha after jnAna?

To me, the answer is yes to all three questions. I don't know what is/are
your answer(s) but would like to know - how you respond will inform me what
you believe, because without understanding your position, I don't know if
what I am stating is blindingly obvious or really necessary to make myself
clear.

If your answer is yes, to all three questions, what is the cause for the
continued appearance of the world? We have to say this is because he has a
body mind complex until the end of his life. Despite this continued world
appearance, because his avidyA is destroyed, the jnAni is a mukta.

Many AchAryas, including Shankaracharya, attribute many reasons for the
presence of the body and continued world appearance post jnAna - some say
prArabdha, some say avidyA samskAra, some say avidyAlesha, etc.

Now, your question is - what is this avidyAlesha? This also has many
answers given by the AchArya-s. Some say the samskAra itself is
avidyAlesha, some say it is a shakti-visheSha.

I think we can say that prArabdha itself is the avidyAlesha (this is my
view, I don't know if any AchArya holds this view or not) - ie if we define
avidyAlesha as that which remains when avidyA is sublated by samyakjnAna,
as prArabdha remains, it can be avidyAlesha.

We have to admit that prArabdha karma still continues after jnAna, because
the presence of the body even after avidyA's destruction means that the
appearance of the world continues for the jnAni. That being the case what
is so wrong if we say prArabdha itself is the avidyAlesha?  As prArabdha
karma is a product of avidyA, to name it as avidyAlesha is not problematic.
Calling an effect by a name indicative of its cause is not unheard of.

I believe such a postulate has the benefit of lAghavatva, parsimoniousness,
because we don't have to postulate the continuance of prArabdha karma and a
separate avidyAlesha. It also means that there is an elegant answer to
people objecting to the jnAni continuing to have "avidyA". It would be very
hard to dispute that the jnAni has a body or that it continues because of
prArabdha which remains even when avidyA is destroyed.

I would be interested in hearing the specific flaws with such a view.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan