[Advaita-l] Gaudapada and Shankara hold the waking objects to be mithya

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 07:32:29 EDT 2023

On Tue, Aug 1, 2023 at 1:26 PM Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l <

> praNAms Sri Venkatraghavan prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> And I forgot to mention why I talked about mUlAvidyA also in my previous
> mail.  As per Sri SSS mUlAvidyA as explained by panchapAdikA vivaraNakAra
> is not avidyAlesha or mulAvidyA is not samskAra rUpa, nor jnAnAbhAva nor
> vipareeta grahaNa nor saMshaya jnana.  So I was just curious where this
> mUlAvidyA fit-in in this discussion or it is entirely a separate subject
> matter.

In the BSB 4.1.15 for the continuation of the body mind complex of the
Jnani, Shankara says; Even though the mithyAjnAna has been baadhita,
sublated by samyagjnana, it  (mithyAjnAna) will continue for some time like
the
two-moon phenomenon, due to 'samskAra':

बाधितमपि तु मिथ्याज्ञानं द्विचन्द्रज्ञानवत्संस्कारवशात्कंचित्कालमनुवर्तत
 एव ।

For this the Ratnaprabha commentary says: विक्षेपकाविद्यालेश एव
तत्संस्कारः ।   Vikshepa-inducing avidya lesha alone is called 'samskara'
(in the bhashya).

Thus the 'later commentator' has said the 'samskara' of the bhashya is what
is 'avidyalesha' which is the vikshepashakti.  The two shakti-s of avidya -
aavaraNa and vikshepa:  AvaraNashakti is dispelled by samyagjnana but the
vikshepashakti will not be dispelled by jnana; it will continue till the
death of the body to experience the prarabdha bhoga.

regards
subbu