[Advaita-l] In Our Advait Vedant Tradition what Rigved 6.61.3 instructs.

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue May 7 16:30:19 EDT 2024

On Sat, 4 May 2024, ravi chandrasekhara wrote:

> Are the punishments for Deva ninda just artha vaada ?
> Rather than state sponsored punishments. But punishment meted out in para
> loka
>
> eg, in Islamic nations, blasphemy is a punishable by offense by law.

Not arthavada but the state has always been very decentralized in Bharata.
The primary social unit is the jati and for most offenses would have been
dealt with by the elders with fines, fasts or in the worst cases
outcasting of the offender.  It is only if they were unable to adjudicate
would formal law enforcemnt get involved.

My great-great-grandfather was the kings representative (rajadhyaksha) of
the local raja in our ancestral village.  Jadeja Rajputs are the dominant
caste there and their panchayata chose the sarpanch (mayor) and ran
things.  The rajadhyakshas only real duties were to organize and preside
over certain observances in lieu of the king and assess and collect taxes.
Only If there was an inter-caste dispute that couldn't be resolved locally
or a particularly heinous crime such as murder he would have to intervene
and take the parties to town to be judged by the royal court.  Also
certain Rajputs known as Darbaris had the right to attend court and make
their own pleas bypassing him altogether.  The royal courts if they had
distinguished scholars (which in Gujarat quite frankly most did not)
probably did consult dharmashastras ad hoc for guidance on punishments but
not on a rigid legalistic basis.  There wasn't a formal equivalent to
sharia but that doesn't mean the concept of "blasphemy" didn't exist and
wasn't punished.