[Advaita-l] {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Question on why "vedadhyayana"?

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 07:52:38 EDT 2024

Namaste Krishna Kashyap ji
Thank you for articulating a sincere question from a vedic student.

I can see that your questioner is only asking about the need to "memorize"
the veda to preserve their authenticity and accuracy of pronunciation etc
., given alternative digital media to perform the same function.

I too have observed that many students in veda pAThashAlas do not know
sufficient Sanskrit to understand the meanings of the mantras, nor are they
expected to. However, even that (their lack of knowledge of the meaning)
cannot  be held against them or even this system of vedic padapATha, krama
pATha etc., where the focus is, by design,  on shikShA and memorization.

1. We note that "svAdhyAyOdhyetavyaH" is a traditional vedic (mImAmsA
shAstra) assertion. It is premised on the idea that "Vedas are a pramANa in
the domain of atIndriya viShayas". Assuming your ward/student accepts that
veda-prAmANyam as axiomatic, then it follows that those who dedicate their
life to veda mantrAdhyayana (memorization and daily chanting) are serving
Dharma, serving Ishvara. Amongst all brAhmaNas, they are amongst those who
are much better aligned with their svadharma - a privilege and opportunity
which is very rare today. Although such a vaidika lifestyle is laden with
huge challenges and I do empathize with those who may find the challenges
overwhelming.*

2. The very chanting of the veda with proper training produces an adRShTa
(puNya) phala for those who do the chanting, as well as those who support
it. It can be termed an important mode of seva to Ishvara. And gadgets
cannot be substitutes for such chanting. ( Perhaps he can parallelly try
and develop a better degree of understanding of the mantras he has already
learnt, then the effect of veda ghoSha is enhanced, says the upaniShad. But
even otherwise, it has intrinsic worth and meaningfulness.)

This the secular function of preservation of the sounds, the chants etc.,
is not the only purpose of traditional veda pAThashAlas.

Om
Raghav

P. S. Apart from financial challenges, a ghanapAThi once mentioned that, in
many vaidika families, the boys learn the Vedas in a gurukula but the girls
are sent off to convents and modern schools. This tragic dissonance has
lead to a situation where these pAThashAla boys are unable to get married
since even vaidika family daughters do not relate to the merits of leading
a vaidika lifestyle; they prefer laukika grooms pursuing the usual
professions of IT, business etc.

On Sat, 22 Jun, 2024, 4:39 pm Krishna Kashyap via Advaita-l, <