[Advaita-l] [advaitin] RE: pratiyogI-jnAna being mandatory for abhAva-jnAna

Michael Chandra Cohen michaelchandra108 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 12:43:25 EDT 2024

AUM SUdhanshuji, Thank you for your response. I fear you continue to
interpret some kind of positive factor abhava ignorance rather a lack of
knowledge hence our disagreement.

-SSSS: "The illusory manifestation is totally non-existent in any form or
at any time apart from the place, time and form in which it was perceived
-SS response: It is non-existent even at the place, time and form of its
manifestation and not only at "apart from". SSSS ji should have mentioned
this. I don't know why he skipped that.
-*mcc: Yes, 'apart from' skipped or not makes no difference and only
confirms SSSS's position. *

SS: "At the time of negation, one understands the traikAlika-abhAva. At the
time of error, one does not understand the traikAlika-abhAva. That is the
difference."
-*mcc: I don't follow. Whether understanding or not,  there is no snake and
never was a snake. The mere perception of a thing doesn't account for its
existence. And please don't let the hare's horn resurface intending to
create a distinction in non-existence. Whether a perception does not exist
or a non-appearing conception does not exist, makes no difference to
non-existence. *

SS: "Mere rope cannot be confused for snake. It is rope+ajnAna that is
confused for snake. Rope alone is never confused."
*mcc: Agreed but here is where you insist on '+ajnAna' as a positive
ignorance in addition to rope. Error of the fact of rope is sufficient,
there is no need to add anything positive to the error. Consider the
ignorance concerning the perception of a flat earth or two moons - error of
the fact is sufficient  *

SS: can x-abhAva-jnAna occur without x-jnAna.
*mcc: I believe, answered just above.*

SS: "Knowledge does not happen without an object of knowledge."
*mcc: agreed. Mirage requires sand as snake requires existing rope - remove
mirage and sand is as it ever was, so too, with snake and rope. *
,
SS: "Singular inactive Brahman cannot give rise to even a mistake. So, a
non-existent apparent avidyA needs to be accepted, from its own frame of
reference, to explain appearance."
*mcc: Again agreed but the devil is in the details and the term,
'apparent,' means something fundamentally different to vyakhana karas and
Sankara Bhasya such that the former are accused of misinterpreting Bhasya,
Advaita hani and nirmoksa vada by positing the continued appearance of form
despite the falsification of adhyasa. *

*are we making any headway or just rehashing our entrenched views? If you
understand my thinking and believe I understand your thinking, what are to
gain? *
*with respect and regards, mcc*