[Advaita-l] In which Upanishad does this occur: na nirodho...'buddho'....

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 13:19:15 EDT 2024

In the Gaudapada karika 2.32 we have this verse:

न निरोधो न चोत्पत्तिर्न बद्धो न च साधकः ।
न मुमुक्षुर्न वै मुक्त इत्येषा परमार्थता ॥ ३२ ॥

This is found in several minor Upanishads -  Atmopanishad, Brahmabindu
Upanishad, Avadhutopanishat   and also in the Vivekachudamani 574.

However, in the Siddhantabindu of Sri Madhusudana Saraswati, for the
commentary on the 7th shloka of the Dasha shloki, we see the following
slightly different version, cited as from an Upanishad/Shruti:

न निरोधो न चोत्पत्तिर्न बुद्धो न च साधकः ।

न मुमुक्षु न वै मुक्त इत्येषा परमार्थता ||

The commentary Nyayaratnavali too says this is a shruti.

The difference is that here we have buddho instead of baddho in the above
cited sources.

The question is: which is this shruti/upanishad?

warm regards
subbu