[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [advaitin] Understanding Srimad Bhagavad Gita from the perspectives of Visishtadvaita and Advaita - an exposition

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 05:28:10 EST 2024

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 3:31 PM Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at hitachienergy.com>
wrote:

> praNAms
>
> Hare Krishna
>

> Even in Vishisthataadvaita, Brahman is infinite. Jeevas and Jagat form the
> part of Brahman as it was pointed out that Brahman has no sajaati, vijaati
> bhedas but has swagata bhedas.
>

> Ø     Brahman has Swagata bheda ?? Do we advaitins agree to this??  Yes
> as per Sri Vikram prabhuji and here Sri Sada also seems to agree like in
> advaita *even in* vishishtAdvaita there is svagata bheda in brahman !!??
> Here is Sri Vikram’s observation in his alignment article :
>

> //quote //
>

> VA: In Brahman there is no sajatiya bheda and there is no vijatiya bheda;
> however, there is svagata bheda or internal distinctions in the form of
> distinctions between Brahman, Jiva and Jagat 11 14.
>

> A: Brahman being the one and only efficient & material cause of the
> manifested universe implies there is no sajatiya or vijatiya bheda in
> Brahman. But the manifestation of distinct names and forms, by maya,
> implies the existence of internal differences or svagata bheda in the form
> of distinct parts.
>

> //unquote//

The above is not admitted in Advaita:

The Advaita siddhi cites a verse (from Swami Vidyaranya's Panchadashi
ch.2.20,21) says:

तदुक्तम्-‘वृक्षस्य स्वगतो भेदः पत्रपुष्पफलादिभिः । वृक्षान्तरात्सजातीयो
विजातीयः शिलादितः ॥
तथा सद्वस्तुनो भेदत्रयं प्राप्तं निवार्यते ।
एकावधारणद्वैतप्रतिषेधैस्त्रिभिः क्रमात् ॥” इति ।

In a tree there are many parts like leaves, flowers, fruits (trunk, root,
etc.) This is an example for svagata bheda. Another tree renders this tree
sa-jaateeya (same species). A stone, being of a totally different category,
brings vijateeya bheda to the tree. Unlike this the Sat, Brahman, does not
have any of the three bhedas based on the Chandogya shruti.

Ratnaprabha says:   सजातीयविजातीयस्वगतभेदनिरासार्थं ‘एकमेवाद्वितीयम्’ इति
पदत्रयम् ।

The three words in the Chandogya vakya: ekam eva advaitiyam negate the
three types of bhedas. ekam = for svagata bheda, eva = sajatiya bheda and
advitiyam for vijatiya bheda.  A slightly diff arrangement is also given by
some Acharyas.