[Advaita-l] mRtyunjaya mantra commentary

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 08:10:26 EDT 2024

Namaste Subbu ji

Thank you very much for the sAyana bhAShya.

 I was puzzled because, as you know, ripe cucumbers do not anAyAsena detach
themselves from the vine. This is pratyaxa.    Swami Dayanandaji, for the
same reason, gave an alternative explanation indicating the grace and
intercession of the gardener/Ishvara; the gardener has to forcefully snap
the thick connection binding the cucumber and other melons of the
cucurbitacae family to the vine. This is far from being anAyAsena. But shrI
sAyana is explaining it in the popular way.

So the doubt still remains, unless as Jaldhar ji said, it refers to some
other fruit like badarI etc which detaches anAyAsena from it's tree.

Incidentally, I noticed that the word karkaTI also means the silk cotton
tree whose pod bursts of its own releasing the seeds.

Om
Raghav