[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Fwd: A comparative analysis of drishTi-srishTi-vAda and srishTi-drishTi-vAda

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 06:02:46 EDT 2023

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] A comparative analysis of drishTi-srishTi-vAda and
srishTi-drishTi-vAda
To: Sudhanshu Shekhar <sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com>
Cc: A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta <
advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>

Namaste Sudhanshu Ji,

VijnAnavAdin  established   two  points  while refuting other Baudha
doctrines  in kArika verses 4-25 to 27. First  that external objects do not
exist , and second  that jnAna exists  even in the absence of  external
objects.  In kArika 4-28, Advaita SidhAnta  accepts both,  but rejects the
VijnAnavadins understanding  of the same. As per VijnAnavAda, jnAna is
kshaNika and  born . In  Advaita SiddhAnta, there is no birth for either
jnAna or external objects.  SidhAnta   interprets  absence of birth in two
different ways.  In respect of  jnAna  (Consciousness) , it is not born but
 *Exists* as nitya and anAdi. (तस्मान्न जायते चित्तं). It does not depend
on external objects for its *Existence*. In respect of external objects,
SidhAnta interprets absence of birth as absence of *Real*  birth. External
objects  perceived  by Consciousness  (चित्तदृश्यं)  do not  have birth in
reality (चित्तदृश्यं न जायते),  but their birth is AadhyAsic.  This is the
purport of  the first half of verse 4-28.

The second half of the karika verse  is a rejection  of  the VijnAnavAda.

Anandagiri  tIka  conveys the same meaning. (chitta-birth = pot) seems to
be incorrect. Please take a relook at your translation of Anandagiri  tIka
with the above understanding.

Reg  Laghuchandrika portion pointedout by you, my  understanding of
Sanskrit does not permit me to respond in any definitive way. More
knowledgeable members may like to respond. Even so  I am attempting a
response. NM lists ten possible definitions for  drishTi- srishTi. Then
goes on to point out  defects in all of them , thus dismissing DSV itself.
AS selects a few of them as acceptable and proceeds  further in defence of
DSV using them as definitions. Laghuchandrika  starts by giving a
 justification for these selections. It lists the first justification as
drishTi-abhinnatva. दृष्टिभिन्नत्वे मानाभावात् दृष्ट्यभिन्नत्वं वाच्यम्.
DrishTi  and  srishTi cannot be delinked. It cites this requirement as an
essential one for any definition.
Regards

<#m_2728809210534644303_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>