[Advaita-l] A comparative analysis of drishTi-srishTi-vAda and srishTi-drishTi-vAda

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 02:52:12 EDT 2023

Namaste Chandramouli ji,

many thanks for highlighting the exact portion from advaita siddhi.

//  यदा यत् पश्यति, तत्समकालं तत् सृजतीत्यत्र तात्पर्यात् ।  //

Indeed, this prima facie appears to indicate that srishTi is not drishTi,
rather something which is having equal span of time as drishTi.

My understanding is based primarily on VSM, which not only holds that
drishTi alone is srishTi, but also proves that there is no pramANa in
holding that there can be any difference between drishTi and srishTi. If we
hold drishTi-sama-samayA-srishTi, we are holding that drishTi and srishTi
are different and they are merely having same span of time of appearance.

*Curiously, VSM holds drishTi-eva-srishTi while explaining the meaning of
drishTi-sama-kAlIna-srishTi.* I quote from VSM - "अतः अविद्याकल्पितस्य जगतः
प्रतीतिसमकालीनमेव सत्त्वमुचितम्, रज्जुसर्पशुक्तिरजतगन्धर्वनगर
स्वप्नप्रपञ्चेषु तथादर्शनात्।

अत्र इदं निरूपणीयम् - प्रतीति मात्रं सत्त्वं चेत् सत्त्वं प्रातीतिकं मतम्।
अविरोधात् मम अपि इष्टं तद्भेदे वद का प्रमा।।

प्रतीति सम कालीनं सत्त्वं जगत् इति कः अर्थः? किं प्रतीति: एव सत्त्वम्?
किंवा प्रतीति व्यतिरेकेण जगतः पृथक् सत्त्वमस्ति। अन्त्ये तत्र प्रमाणमस्ति न
वा?....

प्रत्येतव्य प्रतीत्योश्च भेदः प्रामाणिकः कुतः?

प्रतीतिमात्रमेव एतद्भाति विश्वं चराचरम्।।"

Here, we see in VSM that it is while explaining drishTi-sama-kAlIna-srishTi
that drishTi-eva-srishTi is propounded - प्रतीति सम कालीनं सत्त्वं जगत् इति
कः अर्थः? किं प्रतीति: एव सत्त्वम्?

We can also observe that drishTi-eva-srishTi implies
drishTi-sama-kAlIna-srishTi and also drishTi-sama-sattAka-srishTi. But the
opposite is not true. That is to say -- srishTi-sama-kAlIna-srishTi does
not imply drishTi-eva-srishTi.

Also, if we see the opening lines of drishTi-srishTi-vichAra of Advaita
siddhi as commented upon in LaghuchandrikA, it says - "दृष्टि-अभिन्नत्व
इति।  दृष्टिभिन्नत्वे मानाभावात् दृष्ट्यभिन्नत्वं वाच्यम्; तथा च
अनन्तरोक्तदोषः। " I could not fully comprehend the statement as it is not
clear that drishTi-abhinnatva is being talked with respect to what? If
drishTi-abhinnatva is being talked with respect to srishTi, then it can be
taken that advaita-siddhi is also holding drishTi-eva-srishTi and the later
usage "yada yat kalam pashyati.." is obviously implied by
"drishti-eva-srishTi".

Also, if we see Shankara's statement in MANDUkya- यस्मादसत्येव घटादौ
घटाद्याभासता चित्तस्य विज्ञानवादिना अभ्युपगता, तदनुमोदितमस्माभिरपि
भूतदर्शनात् - here also, the separate existence of pot etc vis-a-vis chitta
is not accepted. DSV does precisely that. There is no pot out there being
created. There is pot-thought and that itself is pot.

Kindly correct me if I erred anywhere. Again many thanks for sharing the
relevant line from advaita-siddhi. Obliged.

Regards.

--
Additional Commissioner of Income-tax,
Pune