[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Re: [advaitin] What is the glue that binds Brahman and Maya together?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 06:33:24 EDT 2023

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 2:11 PM H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste.
>
> Reg  //  The Chandogya 6th chapter gives three analogies: clay, gold and
> iron - all three to equate with Nirguna Brahman //,
>
> No. It is not to equate with NirguNa Brahman. I had recently posted my
> understanding of this under the heading Clay-Pot illustration.

The Upanishad starts with the question: Knowing what will everything be
known?  Since Shvetaketu did not know the answer, Uddalaka started replying
to his own question by giving the three analogies: yathA somya....tathaa.
The yathA - tathA is to show that they are analogies for the question on
hand.  And the Eka vijnaena sarva vijnanam' in Advaita is the knowing of
Nirguna Brahman. That is how the entire Chandogya 6th chapter is explained
on the six tatparya lingas to teach Nirguna Brahman.

Gauadapada says: the clay, etc. analogies uses for teaching srishti is to
help the aspirant understand the aikyam with Brahma tattva which has no
bheda.

regards
subbu

same is the case with Ocean-waves analogy .