[Advaita-l] avidyA and mind in samAdhi

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 04:49:47 EDT 2023

On Mon, 16 Oct, 2023, 1:26 pm Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l, <

> //The answer to all questions lies in the Panchadashi and commentary, as I
> see it.//
>
> Certainly. I will go through it more carefully.
>
>  //and the a-prateetih of mUla ajnana in samadhi (where no ajnana nAsha has
> happened) which is only a potential state;//
>
> Yes. This is the matter of discussion. When there is no ajnAna-nAsha in
> samAdhi; there is non-perception of ajnAna == can it be said that ajnAna is
> not there?
>
> That there is absence of perception of ajnAna in samAdhi is accepted. MS
> says also - there is absence of avidyAkArA-avidyA-vritti

Sri MS accepts the three types of avidyA vRttis in suShupti and is only
doing a prima facie contrast with samadhi involving the "final" iterations
of akhaNDAkAra vRttis after which avidyA bIja is destroyed completely
(except of course for the harmless burnt-seed type of lesha avidyA).

That way the "earlier" iterations can co-exist with even the "non-lesha
type of avidyA".

That's probably why in kena bhAShya on pratibodha-viditam matam, only the
final/last iteration of such nididhyAsanam vRttis has been edified as
"GYAnam".

Om

.