[Advaita-l] Gaudapada and Shankara hold the waking objects to be mithya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 22:56:22 EDT 2023

Namaste Vemkataraghavan ji.

//There has to be some anupapatti to be resolved for any rule to be
postulated. What is the need to postulate such a thing? It cannot just be
so that we can explain our pUrvAchArya's statement.//

If ajnAna is removed completely by jnAna, there cannot remain any form of
ajnAna or its kArya. In case of mirage water etc, the mUla-ajnAna is not
destroyed and hence there can be some mechanism whereby the sustenance of
perception can be explained. But in case of destruction of ajnAna by
Brahma-jnAna, there cannot remain perception. Hence, the tuchchhatva of
ajnAna is a logical necessity also.

In case of nirupAdhika bhrama, like in rajju sarpa, mithyA is indeed
tuchcha post-jnAna. avidyA-adhyAsa on Brahman is also nirupAdhika. Hence my
query.

I think it is only to explain the continued perception of world post-jnAna,
that ajnAna is termed as anirvachanIya. To explain jIvanmukti, prArabdha
etc, we need continued perception of world which requires anirvachanIya
ajnAna. This is valid in SDV. But not in DSV.

//I don't recall exactly, but I think jIvanmukti is accepted in DSV - the
six anAdi entities are outside the scope of dRShTi sRShTi, so avidyAlesha
also has to be technically outside its scope.//

Yes. That is how Advaita Siddhi explains it. But if we see VedAnta
SiddhAnta MuktAvali, there is negation of jIvanmukti. All references
thereto are termed as arthavAda. post-jnAna, perception of world cannot
continue in DSV as per my understanding as avidyA-lesha, prArabdha etc are
not admitted.