[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Re: [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at hitachienergy.com
Tue Dec 26 05:16:37 EST 2023

Incidentally this was why I had suggested earlier that the word
> **imagined** with reference to rope-snake as inappropriate, because
> the experience there is **It is a snake**, implying a locus which is
> experienced through a pramANa.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

This is valid point.  And otherway of looking at it is ( as usual at the risk of sounding asaMpradAyavAdins 😊 ) the effect of mAya (nAma rUpa) is the cause of looking at it differently.  There is something to be outside to see it something else.  And there should be some sAdrushyam ( similarity between what actually there and what is being perceived!!)  This is simple of the fact that adhyAsa is only (mis) understanding of something as something else (atasmin tadbuddhiH).  There should be some 'land' there to think and announce that I am landlord!! 😊 The land / rajju is not created by oneself who is thinking that he is landlord or who is seeing 'sarpa' in place of rajju.  He is wrongly recognizing himself through them.  The locus (adhishtAnam) is created by brahman and in that locus (Ashraya) the jeeva looks and takes it differently.  ( I am not talking about adhishtAna rahita adhyAsa like talamala etc. as this can be discussed under different context) The bottom line here in rajju-sarpa analogy adhishtAna is there and that is rajju and due to some sAdrushyaM and remembrance of something similar (smruti rUpa sarpa / garland/crack on ground/gO mUtra dhAre etc.) one would see something else.  If that is not the case then one would have imagined rajata in rajju, sarpa in shukti!!  😊

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar