[Advaita-l] [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 04:19:58 EST 2023

Namaste Vikram Ji,

My understanding is as follows.

Reg  // The snake is said to be imagined (as opposed to being pratyaksha or
directly perceived) because this adhyasa is of the nature of remembrance
(recollection) of an earlier experience in a different locus. In Vedanta
Paribhasha, recollection is not accepted as pratyaksha pramana.//,

Not in my understanding of the Bhashya. No doubt recollection is not
accepted as pratyaksha pramana. That the snake is of the nature of
remembrance (recollection) is akhyAti vAda of Mimamsaka (Prabhakara). This
has been refuted in no uncertain terms by Sri Bhagavatpada. In the Advaita
Siddhanta as advanced by Sri Bhagavatpada, snake is actually *produced* by
avidyA. It gains its status of *pratyaksha* because the experience is **It
is a snake**. The *It is* part is *pratyaksha* in the sense it is pramAtru
bhAsya while the snake part is *pratyaksha* being sAkshi bhAsya. Vedanta
Paribhasha also mentions as follows while admitting this as pratyaksha

// अत एव च प्रातिभासिकरजतस्थले रजताकाराविद्यावृत्तिः साम्प्रदायिकैरङ्गीकृता
।//

// ata eva cha prAtibhAsikarajatasthale rajatAkArAvidyAvRRittiH
sAmpradAyikaira~NgIkRRitA | //.

Reg  // But this experience (prama) is not arising from a valid pratyaksha
pramana //,

Not exactly. Snake is sAkshi bhAsya. Are not hunger or thirst considered
pratyaksha? They are so because they are sAkshi bhAsya.

Reg // Being 'imagined' and 'experiencing as existing' are not opposites or
mutually exclusive //,

Not in my understanding. They are certainly mutually exclusive. *Imagined*
excludes any corresponding vastu as *existing*.

Reg  // Ignorance is the material cause of illusion //.

Are you considering Ignorance as a vastu (bhAvarUpa) or as absence of
knowledge? The doubt arises because of your followup statement  ** because
the cause is ignorance and not knowledge **. If vastu, then illusion also
is a vastu. If not, then both it and illusion are not  vastu. So the
question of one being the material cause of another does not arise.
Regards