[Advaita-l] [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

Vikram Jagannathan vikkyjagan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 11:50:41 EST 2023

Namaskaram Shri Chandramouli ji,

I believe your question / comment is one of semantics & standpoint. I do
not see a contradiction. Kindly requesting you to please share what you
mean by 'imagined' versus 'created' versus 'experienced as existing'. My
intent is shared below.

The snake is said to be imagined (as opposed to being pratyaksha or
directly perceived) because this adhyasa is of the nature of remembrance
(recollection) of an earlier experience in a different locus. In Vedanta
Paribhasha, recollection is not accepted as pratyaksha pramana. Of course,
it is accepted that the snake is 'experienced as existing'. But this
experience (prama) is not arising from a valid pratyaksha pramana. Being
'imagined' and 'experiencing as existing' are not opposites or mutually
exclusive. The 'imagination' is vyavaharika reality and, as you said,
'experience as existing' is pratibhasika reality. As the pratibhasika
reality is sublated by the vyavaharika knowledge, the recollection of
earlier experience of the snake is understood to be an imagination. It is
an imagination, again, since the snake does not actually exist in the rope
but only appeared to exist as such.

My understanding of 'creation' (manifestation) is that once created
(manifested), the object is valid as a pratyaksha object. If the object is
not pratyaksha post-creation, then it is a mere imagination in the
vyavaharika sense.

Moving on to BUBV-1-4-371, ajnana is the upadana karanam of
"dvaitendrajala". Particularly, "indrajala" means illusion / art of magic,
sorcery, jugglery, delusion etc. Ignorance is the material cause of
illusion. In that way, it can be argued that illusion is 'created' by
ignorance. Applying this to our rope-snake example, it can be argued that
the snake is 'created' by the ignorance of rope. But this 'creation' does
not have the same ontological reality as of the cause because the cause is
ignorance and not knowledge. Thus, it is in a way differentiated from the
other 'creation' with knowledge as the cause (such as a pot from a lump of
clay) and is termed 'imagination', similar to "indrajala".

with humble prostrations,
Vikram