[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [advaitin] Shankara accepts BhAvarUpa ajnana BSB 4.1.15

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 07:40:14 EDT 2023

Namaste Subbuji,

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 1:15 PM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

> > Do you equate DrishTi-srishTi-vAda and ajAti-vAda?
> >

> When we read, for example, the Gaudapada Karika, earlier and this one,
> along with Shankara's Bhashyam, we see that it is not possible to
> distinguish the two: ajAti-vAda and DSV:

I would like to offer a different perspective if you don't mind. I heard
someone state so and agree that AV does not compare with SDV or DSV as the
latter are prakriyAs; the former is a fact comparable to satkAryavAda or
asatkAryavAda/ ArambhavAda. We never compare SDV or DSV to satkAryavAda or
asatkAryavAda. So too, they do not compare with ajAtavAda/ajAtivAda. What
Bhagavan kArikAkAra does is that he counters both widely accepted views by
showing that asat cannot be born, and sat need not be born, setting aside
both satkAryavAda and asatkAryavAda. Then, he introduces AV. Having done
that, then he uses DSV to show how there can be variegated appearance of an
ajAta brahma. It is absolutely astonishing.

> All that could be said about DSV (EJV) is seen here.  In fact the so-called
> SDV too when attempted to be identified in the Prasthana traya bhashya,
> will be seen no diff from DSV.  Every aspirant, by default, will have to
> pass through DSV/EJV ultimately.  That's the message we get from the
> Shankara bhashya.

True. I have heard even those who do not want to talk about DSV at all use
the svapna example to make the final jump in teaching. To me, svapna
example is pure DSV.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That, owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */