[Advaita-l] Shankara's Gita Bhashya 9.25 on Vinayaka and Matrika - a clarification

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue May 28 16:56:43 EDT 2024

On Sun, 26 May 2024, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l wrote:

> Durgaprasad's article
>

> Why do Smartas and Shaktas consider Devi supreme when Adi Shankara in his
> commentary to Bhagavad Gita 9.25 called the Matrika goddesses unworthy of
> worship for those who desire moksha?
> <https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Smartas-and-Shaktas-consider-Devi-supreme-when-Adi-Shankara-in-his-commentary-to-Bhagavad-Gita-9-25-called-the-Matrika-goddesses-unworthy-of-worship-for-those-who-desire-moksha>

As we have discussed several times on advaita-l, Shankaracharya did not
pick these particular bhutas as random examples.  they are the pantheon of
the kaula paschimnamnaya system of tantra which is nastika.  It is this
tanktrika upasana which is condemned not devi worship in general (or even
those tanktrika sampradayas which are compatible with the Vedas.)