[Advaita-l] Duality of truth and anirvacanIya khyAti/sadasadvilakSaNa

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri May 3 18:22:50 EDT 2024

On Fri, 3 May 2024, Chyavana Joglekar via Advaita-l wrote:

> According to Advaita the world is mithya which means neither the world is
> sat or asat. It is sat for one who has avidya and one who has achieved
> mukti the world simply ceases to exist. This is why one can say that the
> jagat is sadasad-vilakShaNa, what is meant is that the jagat is both
> cognised in an adhiSThAna (and is thus not tuccha like a hare's horn), but
> also that the jagat is subject to bAdha and thus cannot be truly satya.
>
> However, one can argue using The Law of Excluded Middle refutes the entire
> argument. Are there any proper rejoinders to such arguments? I think even
> vyAsa-tIrtha advances this argument and so does madhva, in his
> viSNu-tattava-nirNaya.

We have discussed this at greater length in the past and you might find
those discussions more enightening but this is in brief my understanding.

The law of excluded middle is given a proposition p, p ^ ~p == true.  In
other words a proposition must be either be exclusively true or
exclusively false. So it is already making an assumption of duality.
Using it to establish te validity of dvaita is begging the question.

We do not belive there is a ~p when it comes to Brahman; only p.  That the
world-appearance seems to be ~p is only a matter of conventional relations
(vyavahara).  It is possible to express logical truth in terms of
relations without making exclusive truth claims.  For instance "Yoda is
Luke Skywalkers' father." "Darth Vader is Luke Skywalkers' father."  We can
recognize the first sentence as false and the second sentence as true
within the universe of Star Wars even though Yoda, Darth Vader and Luke
Skywalker are all figments of George Lucas's imagination.

Hope that helps.

(As an aside, are you related to the famous Joglekar family of Vaidiks of
Gokarna?)