[Advaita-l] {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Question on why "vedadhyayana"?

Raghav K mangoleaves01 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 14:19:48 EDT 2024

The simple answer is Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita - sahajam karma
kaunteya sa dosham api *na tyajet,  *and, Taittiriya Upanishad specifically
calls out *svAdhyAya-pravachanAbhyAm na pramaditavyam,
deva-pitru-kAryAbhyAm na pramaditavyam*. This person saying this is similar
to villagers giving up their traditional avocations, arts, skills that are
unique to them, and modernizing themselves. We have lost so many arts as a
result of this, and we will lose these too this way. There was once a
tradition of people doing agni-karyam. The concept of nityagnihotris is
almost extinct today. Irrespective of Krishna or the Upanishad or the
rishis saying , if I were him, I would feel it my responsibility more than
a burden to do it, preserve it, and pass it down to the next generation.
There is only so much time you could give with modern occupations - I get
it. But still, you have to try your best. That sincerity is what pleases
God. sa yat pramANam kurute lokas tad-anuvartate. For this sloka, there are
very interesting commentaries - and they all ask you not to give up your
duties loka sangraham eva api sampashyan kartum arhasi. If he feels it is a
burden, his child will certainly feel it so and give it up, and in a couple
of generations, the practice will be abandoned!