[Advaita-l] Question on why "vedadhyayana"?

Krishna Kashyap kkashyap2011 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 21:58:40 EDT 2024

Namaste,

I found some answers to this question on the internet:

Why do vedadhyayana?

the answers I found were:

1) Oral tradition was the only way these Vedas could be preserved. The lack
of printing technology made it inevitable for the older Vedic pundits to
establish oral tradition.

2) One had to be ready with all the mantra portions for Vedic karmas. Hence
they only practiced the portions used for yajnas and yagas. Now, other than
for 16 karmas like jata karma, upanayana, and so on, there is no need to
learn Vedas. most people do not do any yagas anyway.

In general, I get the idea that because of a lack of technology, the
ancient lineage of Rshis developed the oral tradition to protect the Vedas.
Now, we have good technology and AI to preserve these Vedas. Hence there is
no need to commit to memory the Vedas.

Now, why should we do Vedadhyana?

this question was asked by a young person who has completed 95 percent of
vedadhyayana of Yajurveda and he is 20 years old. (ie. he has completed 74
khandas out of 82 (ashiti-dvaya)) Yajurveda. He practices it every day in
addition to doing a bachelors degree in finance)

What should I tell him?

*Krishna Kashyap*