[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Re: what is the technical definition of Drik in Advaita?

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 3 09:58:00 EDT 2024

Chandramouliji - PraNAms
and thanks for your response.
Hari Om!Sadananda

    On Monday, June 3, 2024 at 06:18:58 AM EDT, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com> wrote:

Pranams Sadananda Ji,

I am aware of your many posts earlier on also to the sameeffect. I had not participated in those threads as my understanding was verydifferent and I was not keen on entering into long drawnout debates. Butsince you are now responding to my post, I feel obliged to state my position onthe same.

Firstly, and primarily, I think the *pure Consciouness* youare referring to addressing Sakshi chaitanyam should really be termed ** अज्ञातचैतन्य (aj~nAtachaitanya)(Uncognized Chaitanya) **. In my understanding it is not Shuddha Chaitanya (pureConsciouness ). It is **veiled** or आवरण सहित चैतन्य(AvaraNasahita chaitanya ).

Reg  // Similarly,Sakshi-Chaitanyam is that part of the all-pervading consciousness that is 'asthough' getting reflected by the thought and in the case of 'thoughtless mind,the mind itself as Chidaabhaasa' //,

Not exactly. Sakshi-Chaitanyam also illumines or reveals during, and aspart of, the thought process  the triadof reflected consciousness/vritti/*captured* object.

Reg para 5 of your post, Realization involves destruction ofthe *veil* of the sAkshi which is अज्ञातचैतन्य (aj~nAtachaitanya) (UncognizedChaitanya) in my understanding.

This in brief is perhaps where our respective understandingsseem to be different. I have not gone into all the aspects you have covered inyour post for the sake of brevity. I hope it has not turned out to be arambling note. The problem I faced was how to restrict the scope of theresponse to a limited topic/s. If there is any incoherence, please do point outand I will clarify to the best of my ability.

Pranams and Regards