[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Asked of Chatgpt: "Are there any definitions or descriptions that depict a positive ignorance in Sankara's commentary on the Brahma Sutras or classic 10 Upanishads whether in context or otherwise?

Michael Chandra Cohen michaelchandra108 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 09:12:14 EDT 2024

Sudhanshuji, One citation doesn't counterbalance so many alternative
references that indicate abhava rupa being the intended meaning of avidya
in Sankara's or Sureswara's bhasya. There are better interlocutors of
Sanskrit and bhasya than myself if you wish to dive into specific examples.
I only wished to determine if your one example conclusively pointed to
Suresvara's understanding of avidya as bhavarupa. Chatgpt helped by somehow
surveying his entire corpus of texts for his usage of avidya and concluded
that abhavarupa was the sage's intended teaching. My efforts with Chatgpt
should be repeatable by anyone even more decisively with returning further
specific examples. It seems to me, that's how this issue should and can be
resolved if indeed Chatgpt returns an ample list of the term's uses. Then
specific Sanskrit verses can be examined and a conclusion drawn. Of course,
I am naive to think this issue would be resolved so easily. Perhaps the
value is not to resolve but only to investigate and inquire.