[Advaita-l] Seeking Clarification on Jayatirtha's Interpretations of Bhagavad Gita Verses through an advaitic lens

Chyavana Joglekar bhargavachyavana at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 01:44:56 EDT 2024

Respected members,

I hope this email finds you well. My name is Chyavana Joglekar, and I am
currently a college student studying the Bhagavad Gita.I am also a very
interested reader of the advaita-mailing list. I have also been delving
into the commentaries of both Shri Shankaracharya and Shri Madhva,
including the Bhāṣya and the Tātparya-nirṇaya, along with the Tīkā of Shri
Jayatīrtha.

I am reaching out to you because I have encountered some difficulties in
understanding Jayatīrtha's assessments of verses 13.31-13.35
(अनादित्वान्निर्गुणत्वात्... to क्षेत्रक्षेत्रज्ञयोरेवमन्तरं
ज्ञानचक्षुषा।). Particularly, I am grappling with his interpretation
regarding the statement "sarvaṁ khalvidaṁ brahmā" by associating it with
"iṣṭāpūrta" and making a kAric crriticism of shruti-s like "sarvaṁ
khalvidaṁ brahmā".

The relevant pages of Jayatīrtha's Tīkā, which commence with
सर्वचेतनाचेतनात्मकत्वात् and end with an explanation for the verses, are
seen in the 296th page and the particular contention regarding the
mahavakya begins in the 298th page (attached for reference:
https://archive.org/details/anandatirthabhagavatpadacharyavirachitahgitatatparyanirnayaheditedbydprahladachar1987/page/n295/mode/2up?view=theater
)

I am eager to gain clarity on how an Advaitin would respond to the
arguments put forth by Jayatīrtha (more specifically on his analysis of
sarvam khalvidam brahma). Your insights would greatly aid me in furthering
my understanding of these philosophical systems and their interpretations.

Thank you very much for considering my request. I eagerly await your
response.

Warm regards,

Chyavana Joglekar