[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [advaitin] Understanding Srimad Bhagavad Gita from the perspectives of Visishtadvaita and Advaita - an exposition

Vikram Jagannathan vikkyjagan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 23:28:04 EST 2024

Namaskaram Shri Suresh ji,

My response is tangential to your email. Notwithstanding your comments, I
would like to once more clarify my intent with this article.

My intent here is not to find a common ground between Advaita &
Visishtadvaita or identify ways how the two systems can be brought closer
by approximating certain concepts. I do not wish to dilute either
sampradhayam even by an iota. My intent is to demonstrate that “Advaita
does not stand in conflict against Visishtadvaita''. In other words, the
criticisms against Advaita are actually misplaced. This does not mean that
there is a bi-directional 1:1 mapping between the two systems. In fact,
there simply doesn’t exist one such mapping.

Certain fundamental concepts of Advaita - such as the one immutable
homogenous Brahman, from the perspective of ignorance, appears as the trio
of Isvara, Jiva, Jagat. On transcending this ignorance, there is then the
realization of distinctionless attributeless true nature of one’s own Self
/ Atman / Brahman - is just not acceptable to other sampradhayams. Any
reconciliation will have to dilute this principle. This is Shri Subbu ji’s
point too when he said that certain concepts of Advaita are simply not
reconcilable with other systems. I am 100% in agreement with his view and I
am just trying the other directional alignment (stating that
non-restrictive VA concepts have an alignment within Advaita and not that
the Advaita concepts all have an alignment with VA).

In the article, by stating Advaita perspective, which stands different from
VA perspective, the context is set to understand SBG unambiguously in a
comparative study. However, the next logical question is that if it is said
the Advaita perspective is correct, and since it is different from VA
perspective, does it mean the VA perspective is incorrect? The answer is
that it is not so. From a certain perspective, it is seen that VA concepts
are actually aligned with Advaita teachings as well. This corresponds to
the second part of the article on alignment. Therefore one isn’t
necessarily wrong by just following either sampradhayam. Adhikari bheda
(which I loosely termed as one’s temperament) comes into play in following
the appropriate system.

I am sharing more details of my intent, only to avoid any misunderstandings
or confusions as to the purpose of the article itself. With the intention
clarified, I am hoping to receive positive guidance, and feedback for any
corrections, from learned members. It is also for my self-reflection on
some of the deeper nuances of Advaita.

Dhanyosmi!

with humble prostrations,
Vikram