[Advaita-l] [advaitin] What Counter Correlative means in Navya Nyaaya

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 03:40:03 EST 2024

Namaste Sadananda Ji,

The Nyāya-Vaiśeṣikas also hold

that abhāva is not without any essence. It is determined by its
pratiyogī (countercorrelate).
In case of negation, there is an object whose non-existence is experienced

and there is a locus on which this non-existence is based. The object of
non-existence

is called its pratiyogī and the locus is called anuyogī. For example, in
case of ‘there is

no jar on the ground’, the jar is the pratiyogī and the ground is the anuyog

Regards