[Advaita-l] Definition of sAkshI

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 03:28:13 EST 2024

Namaste Sudhanshu Ji,

Since a lot of ground has already been covered in this thread, I will
confine myself to a couple of points which I thought was relevant.

The definitions of adavaita epistemologic terms appearing in texts prior to
Vedanta Paribhasha are generally considered to have been superceded by the
definitions given in VP. This applies to texts like Advaita Siddhi,
Siddhanta Bindu, Ishta Siddhi  etc. As per VP, a vritti is accepted to be
its own vishaya as well. An object is revealed in a vritti by either
pratibimbita or AbhAsa Chaitanya (termed प्रमातृ pramAtRRi Chaitanya) while
the same vritti with its content is revealed by the आरूढ (ArUDha) (mounted)
Chaitanya on the same vritti. This आरूढ (ArUDha) (mounted) Chaitanya is
termed sAkshi Chaitanya. This is neither pratibimbita nor AbhAsa Chaitanya.

This is in respect of vrittis. In general, उपहित चैतन्य (upahita chaitanya)
is termed sAkshi Chaitanya. It is this same Chaitanya which is mounted on
the vrittis.

Another observation.

Reg  // साक्षी
#चाविद्यावृत्तिप्रतिविम्बितचैतन्यम् । //

//  And sAkshI means (shuddha) chaitanya-reflected-in-avidyA-vritti //,

It is not  (shuddha) chaitanya. It is (shuddha) chaitanya subjected to आवरण
(AvaraNa).

This is my understanding
Regards

On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 12:00 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <