[Advaita-l] Re. What is Samadhi

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 09:46:05 EST 2024

 Venkatraghavanji - praNAms

Thanks for posting your analysis of Jeevanmukta viveka of Swami Vidyaaranya.

I have a simple question related to manonasha that you mentioned.

I thought that happens only when the jeevan mukta leaves the body with the gross body merging with Virat, the mind merging with Hiranyagarbha, and intellect merging with Iswara.

Mind and the associated chidaabhaasa are required as long as life is pulsating in the jeevanmutka.

If manonaasha involves cessation of the notion that I am the mind, it can be achieved shravana, and manana, and nidhidhyaasnaa if required.

The word 'manonaasha' is somewhat confusing to me. I understand that Samadhi is not necessary for abiding in the knowledge and what is required is vaasanaakshaya as Goudapaada also discusses as obstacles for self-realization.

Will be happy if you can clarify.

Hari Om!
Sadananda