[Advaita-l] mRtyunjaya mantra commentary

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 19:48:25 EDT 2024

Thanks again for the detailed context. What you wrote about urvAruka being
the Indian ber/badari (Zizyphus Mauritania) is the best bet. And so the
usual translations of urvAruka being cucumber, gourd or melon are
incorrect.

Even gourds like squash do not drop off the vine. Their stalk is so thick
and hard that it's used in southern Indian cuisine as an applicator for
smearing old on a flat frying pan etc., prior to pouring dosa batter for
example.

Regarding the second meaning  of tryambaka as referring to ambA, ambikA and
ambAlikA - is Shiva being praised as the consort of all the three feminine
Shaktis ? Usually (unlike Mahavishnu), Shiva is regarded as associated only
with a single consort Devi (who may have many manifestations): but Shiva
himself is not usually depicted as having three consorts.

Om

Raghav

P S. Earlier (even in the 1980s) only the smaller badaris (Zizyphus
Mauritania or rEgi in telugu) were around, sold by roadside vendors. They
are smaller, have less flesh and are more seed and have a tangy taste.

Of late, we seem to get only Zizyphus Jujube, which are larger and more
fleshy and sweeter, but lack a certain distinct taste and flavour of the
Indian variety.