[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Fwd: jivas' abode during deep sleep/praLaya

Jaishankar Narayanan jai1971 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 10:10:41 EDT 2023

Namaste,

Even those who claim that avidya is non-existence (abhAva) accept the
avyakta (unmanifest) as a potential / causal state during mahApralaya for
all jIvas, in which the jIvas remain till they reemerge during the next
cycle of creation. They accept that this avyakta is also called mAyA,
avyAkrta, prakrti etc. and it is tattva-anyatbhyAm-anirvachanIyA (mithyA).
Now why should every day sleep be any different as a potential / causal
state? Since the potential / causal state does not have any divisions /
differences, the total potential state cannot be distinguished from
individual potential state. Although from individual's / jIva's standpoint
we call the bIja as avidya and from the total / Isvara's standpoint we call
the bIja as mAyA, it is the same. We need not unnecessarily differentiate
between these two and create an illogical prakriyA because of the
misunderstanding of some people.

BSB 1.4.3 bhashya makes it clear.

मुक्तानां च पुनरनुत्पत्तिः । कुतः ? विद्यया तस्या बीजशक्तेर्दाहात् ।
अविद्यात्मिका हि बीजशक्तिरव्यक्तशब्दनिर्देश्या परमेश्वराश्रया मायामयी
महासुषुप्तिः, यस्यां स्वरूपप्रतिबोधरहिताः शेरते संसारिणो जीवाः ।
तदेतदव्यक्तं क्वचिदाकाशशब्दनिर्दिष्टम् — ‘एतस्मिन्नु खल्वक्षरे गार्ग्याकाश
ओतश्च प्रोतश्च’ (बृ. उ. ३ । ८ । ११) इति श्रुतेः; क्वचिदक्षरशब्दोदितम् —
‘अक्षरात्परतः परः’ (मु. उ. २ । १ । २) इति श्रुतेः; क्वचिन्मायेति सूचितम् —
‘मायां तु प्रकृतिं विद्यान्मायिनं तु महेश्वरम्’ (श्वे. उ. ४ । १०) इति
मन्त्रवर्णात् । अव्यक्ता हि सा माया, तत्त्वान्यत्वनिरूपणस्याशक्यत्वात् ।
तदिदं ‘महतः परमव्यक्तम्’ इत्युक्तम् — अव्यक्तप्रभवत्वान्महतः, यदा
हैरण्यगर्भी बुद्धिर्महान् । यदा तु जीवो महान्
तदाप्यव्यक्ताधीनत्वाज्जीवभावस्य महतः परमव्यक्तमित्युक्तम् । अविद्या
ह्यव्यक्तम्; अविद्यावत्त्वेनैव जीवस्य सर्वः संव्यवहारः सन्ततो वर्तते ।

Without that latent / potential causal state, the absence of birth for the
freed individuals cannot be explained. Why? Because liberation comes when·
the potential power (of Maya) is burnt away by knowledge. That potential
power, constituted by ignorance, is mentioned by the word unmanifest. It
rests on Isvara, and is comparable to magic. It is a kind of deep slumber
in which the transmigrating individuals sleep without any consciousness of
their real nature. This thing, that is avyakta, is sometimes referred to by
the word space / AkAsha, as stated in the text, "By the Immutable, O Gargi,
is (the unmanifest) space / AkAsha pervaded" (Br. Up. III. viii. 11).
Sometimes it is called the immutable as in, "Higher than the higher
immutable" (Mu. Up. II. i. 2); sometimes it is called Maya as in, "Know
Maya to be prakriti / Nature and the master of Maya to be the great
maheshvara" (Sv. IV. 10). That Maya is surely unmanifest, for it can
neither be ascertained as real nor as unreal. This is why it has been
stated that "Avyakta is higher than mahat" (Ka. I. iii. 11); for if the
cosmic intelligence of Hiranyagarbha be meant by the word mahat, then
avyakta is higher than mahat, for mahat springs from the former. If,
however, the individual being be the meaning of mahat (vide end of
commentary on I. iv. 1), still the statement, "Avyakta is higher than
mahat", is admissible, since the state of becoming an individual depends on
avyakta (Maya as upAdhi). For ignorance is avyakta; and it is because of
the possession of ignorance by the individual  that all kinds of empirical
behaviour continue for ever.

with love and prayers,
Jaishankar