[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Fwd: A comparative analysis of drishTi-srishTi-vAda and srishTi-drishTi-vAda

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 05:05:27 EDT 2023

Namaste Sudhanshu Ji,

Reg  //  What about the bAhya-artha-AbhAsa of chitta? That also is accepted
by advaita. Isn't it? //,

No. Not in my understanding.

Reg  //  यस्मादसत्येव घटादौ *घटाद्याभासता चित्तस्य* विज्ञानवादिना अभ्युपगता,
तदनुमोदितमस्माभिरपि भूतदर्शनात्. Thus, advaita holds that it is chitta
itself which appears as bAhya-artha-AbhAsa such as pot, in the absence of
pot //,

Appropriate anvaya would be as below

//  यस्मादसत्येव घटादौ घटाद्याभासता, * चित्तस्य विज्ञानवादिना अभ्युपगता *,
तदनुमोदितमस्माभिरपि भूतदर्शनात् //.

This is in conformity with the declaration in the verse // तस्मान्न जायते
चित्तं चित्तदृश्यं न जायते । //. It is also in conformity with the second
half of the verse // तस्य पश्यन्ति ये जातिं खे वै पश्यन्ति ते पदम् ॥ //
which rejects the vijnAnavAda view. It also clearly points to the advaitic
view of objects being AdhyAsic in nature.
Regards