[Advaita-l] A comparative analysis of drishTi-srishTi-vAda and srishTi-drishTi-vAda

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 06:37:33 EDT 2023

Namaste Sudhanshu Ji,

Please do not misunderstand me. My intention is not to correct any errors
in understanding on the part of others. My understanding could be as faulty
or correct as that of anyone else. But where facts  are concerned. I am
only presenting  them as such, in order that any understanding  should be
based on correct facts and there could be exchange of views based on them.

Reg the MandUkya  Bhashya  on  4-28 cited by you, please see the immediate
continuation of the Bhashya cited. It reads

//  तस्मात्तस्यापि चित्तस्य जायमानावभासता असत्येव जन्मनि युक्ता भवितुमिति //

//   therefore it also stands to reason  that Consciousness appears to be
born  even though there is no such thing as birth //.

This  admits the separate  (vis-à-vis chitta) AdhyAsic existence of
objects like pots etc. DSV of VSM shade does not admit this.

Reg the laghuchandrika  portion cited by you, my understanding  is  that it
summarizes the topic of discussion.  ** If drishTi-abhinnatva is being
talked with respect to srishTi ** as drishTi- srishTi , then  NM lists ten
possibilities and points out the defects in all of them. This is later
refuted by AS.

Reg  DSV/EJV  per se (of the AS variety), my understanding I believe is
different from what has been discussed so far here.  DSV admits
 prAtibhAsika  only is , in my  view , indicative that it is purely
individualistic and  defines   the adhikAri for the same. Very briefly
stated, the adhikAri is one who is at the  nidhidhyAsana stage, after
completing shravaNa and manana. DSV is recommended  at this stage for a
sAdhaka as a preferred prakriyA. The adhikAri would correspond to
वेदान्तविज्ञानसुनिश्चितार्थाः, ब्रह्मसंस्थ  as  explained in BSB 3—20 etc.
Being purely prAtibhAsika, the contents of DSV prakriyA are not to be
extended for  universal  application as with SDV. It is relevant ONLY for
the concerned sAdhaka. Understood this way, many of the questions raised in
the thread  seem to be not relevant at all.

Thus DSV and SDV are really not alternate prakriyAs  for the same adhikAri
at prior to shravaNa manana stage.

I have not elaborated as I believe it is self explanatory.

Regards