[Advaita-l] 9 Niyamas for Adhyatma Saadhana.by Sri Satchidanandendra Saraswati Swamiji.

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 03:55:03 EDT 2023

(translation by Sri Prakasanandendra Saraswati Swamiji.)
1) Rising in the Brahma Muhurta:– The period from 4-00 am to Sunrise is the
suitable time for mediation, mind becomes easily tranquil at that time.
2) Snana or taking bath:– Taking bath with cold water, or if unable to do
with cold water, at least with warm water, one should wear a clean cloth.
If it is impossible to take a bath, at least wash your face, hands and legs
and do the Smarana of Ishvara which purifies mind.
3) Dhyana or Meditation:– one should meditate at least for half an hour on
Paramatma who is Atman of all. Before meditation, prepare the meditative
mood with puja or japa and such others.
4) Parayana or Regular reading of Holy books:– One should read some portion
of either Upanishads, Gita, Ramayana, Bhagavata and such other Pavitra
Granthas along with meaning everyday without fail.
5) Sad vyavahara or Good conduct:– One should not live for vishaya bhoga
but for the happiness of the Highest truth. At no time during our worldly
activity, should we loose sight of the final goal of life.
6) Trikarana samyama or control of our three organs like body, speech and
mind:–
(a) We should keep our body under our control by taking sattvic food which
is hita = beneficial and mita = moderate, and with suitable vyayama,
physical excercise and with control of senses.
(b) Control speech by speaking truthfully and pleasantly; by chanting of
Bhagavan's name and observing maouna (silence) etc.
(c) Keep the mind under your control by enquiry into Truth, seeing
everybody as same as one own Atman, and self-introspection.
7) Doing Bhajana:– We should do bhajana of Bhagavan every evening through
stotras and kirtanas.

Atma nivedana or total self- surrender:– Understanding that one is only a
nimitta or an instrument and it is Ishvara who is inspiring all my acts,
therefore surrender one's complete life to Him.
9) Satsanga or a company of Holy people :– Only Sat puruahas can teach and
guide us how to practise adhyatmika sadhanas. Therefore, find the Satsanga
with sincere faith.

Om