[Advaita-l] avidyA and mind in samAdhi

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 02:54:08 EDT 2023

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 11:33 AM Sudhanshu Shekhar <sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste V Subramanian ji.
>
> 1. Is there a difference between kAraNa sharIra and mUlAvidyA?

Namaste.

They are the same.

> 2. If many sessions of nirvikalpaka samAdhi are needed for destruction of
> mUlAvidyA, let us talk about the initial few sessions. If
> tattva-agrahaNa-rUpA avidyA is not there, then how does it come back after
> samAdhi? It is the basic seed. It cannot merge into something and come
> back, like mind merges in avidyA in sushupti and comes back during waking
> and dream.

Tattva agrahana rupa avidya is not there since the akhandAkAra vritti is
accepted. This is AtmA/BrahmakAra vritti.In its presence 'I do not know the
Self' kind of ignorance can't coexist. That is the purport of the
Panchadashi verse and the commentary.

> 3. LeshAvidyA remains post jnAna is completely accepted. I was trying to
> understand about other AkArAs of mUlAvidyA. If the causal seed is not there
> in samAdhi, how will it come back!

The causal seed is not completely destroyed in the case of the need for
more akhandAkAra vritti sessions. Such a situation is admitted by Shankara
in the BSB 4.1.2:

यस्य तु न एषोऽनुभवो द्रागिव जायते, तं प्रति अनुभवार्थ एव आवृत्त्यभ्युपगमः ।
तत्रापि न तत्त्वमसिवाक्यार्थात् प्रच्याव्य आवृत्तौ प्रवर्तयेत् ।  For such
of those aspirants such an experience has not occurred instantaneously, the
need for reiteration is required for generating that experience...

regards
subbu