[Advaita-l] Lord's mama guNamayi mAya Vs Jeeva's avidyA

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 01:41:02 EDT 2023

Namaste Raghav ji.

Perfect.

//What distinguishes the individual from the total is the antaḥ-karaṇa. In
other words, the antaḥ-karaṇa is the vyāvartaka*1*. The individual
including the antaḥ-karaṇa is jīva-caitanya. In other words jīva-caitanya
is antaḥ-karaṇa-viśiṣṭa-caitanya. The same caitanya excluding the
antaḥ-karaṇa is sākṣi-caitanya. In other words, sākṣi-caitanya is
antaḥ-karaṇa-upahita-caitanya.//

This is well accepted in srishTi-drishTi-vAda. The way I defined, jIva=
avidyA-pratibimbita-chaitanya and Ishwara = avidyA-upahita-chaitanya, is
how drishTi-srishTi-vAda defines the two entities jIva and Ishwara. Here,
avidyA is visheshaNa for jIva but upAdhi for jIva. Rest everything is how
you explained above.

//For example, in the sentence, "I am limited," the antaḥ-karaṇa is included
in the meaning of the word 'I'. Therefore the meaning of the word 'I' is
antaḥ-karaṇa-viśiṣṭa-caitanya or jīva-caitanya. In contrast, in the
sentence, "I am limitless," the antaḥ-karaṇa is not included in the meaning
of the word 'I'. Therefore the meaning of the word 'I' is
antaḥ-karaṇa-upahita-caitanya or sākṣi-caitanya. It is this limitless
antaḥ-karaṇa-upahita sākṣi-caitanya that is equated with brahman in the
mahā-vākya."//

Perfect.

I will just add on with respect to DSV.

In DSV, Brahman is avidyA-anupahita-chaitanya. Thus, jIva is
avidyA-pratibimbita-chaitanya, Ishwara is avidyA-upahita-chaitanya whereas
Brahman is avidyA-anupahita-chaitanya. Thus, avidyA acts as visheshaNa,
upAdhi and upalakshaNa respectively for jIva, Ishwara and Brahman.

On Sun, 1 Oct, 2023, 8:58 am Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l, <