[Advaita-l] on Existence in Deep Sleep - missing clip

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 10:39:16 EST 2023

Namaste Michael ji.

Swamiji makes two points:

1. Negation of thought in deep sleep is recollected in waking.

2. My existence in deep sleep is not recollected .

==========================

1. SAkshI sees the presence of mind in waking/dream and absence of mind in
sushupti. Thus, if thought is defined as mental modification, then yes,
sAkshI sees the abhAva of thought in sushupti which is recollected in
waking.

However, if thought is defined to include avidyA-vritti, then such thought
is not negated in sushupti. They are very much there and are recollected so
in waking.

2. Existence per se is never the experiencer. It is the sAkshI, which is
avidyA-upahita-chaitanya, who is the experiencer.

Now, none denies his existence in sushupti. However, "I" is certainly not
there in sushupti. Then, how are we sure of our existence then. Because
same sAkshI was there. But how do we know that sAkshI is there? True it is
self-illumined. But sAkshI cannot "know" without pramANa-vritti or
avidyA-vritti.

Therefore, sAkshI-AkArA-avidyA-vritti is admitted in sushupti. This vritti
is destroyed and a samskAra is formed which manifests in waking resulting
into recollection of sAkshI.

Thus, sAkshI, just as ajnAna is an objection of recollection in waking.

Regards.