[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Re: Does the mukta/jnani see the world?

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 08:32:59 EST 2023

Namaste Chandramouli ji,

The TIkA by MS on sankshepa shArIraka 2.82 to 2.85 may be perused. Here,
the text classifies three drishTi, pariNAma-drishTi, vivarta-drishTi and
antyA-drishTi. It says that one attains Moksha through antyA-drishTi by
sequentially sublimating the earlier drishTi.

MS bifurcates vivarta-drishTi in two parts, nAnA-jIva and one-jIva which is
what SDV and DSV are respectively. He categorically states that
vivarta-drishTi is incapable of leading one to Moksha. I quote from 2.82 -
तत्त्वक्षति: प्रपञ्चसत्यत्वक्षतिकरी या विवर्तदृष्टि: सा मध्यमा,
ब्रह्मविचाराद्यधीन विवर्तदृष्टेः विवेकादिमत् पुरुषाश्रायत्वात् परम्परया
मोक्षोपयोगित्वात् आत्मविषयत्वात् च सा पूर्वदृष्ट्यपेक्षया उत्तमा, तावत्या
#द्वैतोपशान्त्यसम्भवाद्# द्वैतोपशान्त्यपेक्षया जघन्या इति मध्यमा इति
अर्थः।.....विवर्तदृष्टेरपि जीवैकत्व नानात्व विषयतया द्वैविध्यम् आह ...

//This implies that as per Sri MS,  all the prakriyAs lead to the same
Goal. There is no difference in the status of the sAdhaka who reaches the
Goal through whichever prakriyA. Your contention appears to imply that the
status is different depending upon whether SDV or DSV or AjAtivAda is
followed by the sAdhaka.//

Whether it is pariNAma-vAda or vivarta-vAda (which includes SDV and DSV),
they are useful in so far as they sequentially take one to antyA-drishTi.

antyA-drishTi is apavAda-drishTi. However, to reach there, one has to
necessarily sequentially pass through SDV and DSV. Since, DSV is just a
step short to antyA-drishTi, it is the most superior. In antyA-drishTi,
there is apavAda, basically ajAtivAda.

My point is only this. Neither DSV nor SDV can take one to Moksha. For they
are within the vivarta-vAda which maintains the prapancha-bhramatva.

It is only the antyA-drishTi, the ajAtivAda which is the truth. I would
request to kindly peruse 2.82 to 2.85 TIkA. I cannot find any soft copy. I
have the Hindi translation and reproducing the Sanskrit here will take time.

Regards.