[Advaita-l] Gaudapada and Shankara hold the waking objects to be mithya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 00:47:54 EDT 2023

Namaste Praveen ji.

Whether or not a vyAvahArika snake is placed alongside rope, or whether or
not the Aropya redness-of-flower is sannikrishTa, the point is -- the
redness-of-crystal is not eligible for contact with eye just as illusory
snake is not available for contact with eye.

Even if there is contact of eye with red flower or with real snake placed
beside --- the redness seen in crystal or the illusory snake cannot be seen
by eye -- because redness is not there in crystal, because snake is not
there in rope.

Hence, sAkshi-bhAsya illusory redness has to be accepted in crystal. That
is what the commentary says -- तस्मात् आरोप्यसन्निकर्षस्थले अपि......