[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Gaudapada and Shankara hold the waking objects to be mithya

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 12:59:02 EDT 2023

Dear Venkat ji,

Isn't the case of sphatika raktima (redness in crystal) also one of
'atasmin tad buddhih rupa' adhyAsa?  Also, this instance is admitted to be
an example for sopadhika bhrama.

I chanced to see this crisp note on adhyasa types:
http://www.advaidam.com/2016/07/06/nirupadhika-and-sopadhika/

//  Nirupadhika and Sopadhika
[image: image_pdf]
<http://www.advaidam.com/2016/07/06/nirupadhika-and-sopadhika/?print=pdf>[image:
image_print]
<http://www.advaidam.com/2016/07/06/nirupadhika-and-sopadhika/?print=print>

This post is to explain Shloka 21, of Kaivalya Upanishads

Adhyasa is of two kinds. When a rope is mistaken for a snake, the snake
alone is seen. The existence of the rope is not known at all. Here the
snake is said to be superimposed on the rope. This is known as
*Svarupa-Adhyasa*. The second kind of superimposition is when a crystal
appears to be red in the proximity of a red flower. Here both the crystal
and the flower are seen as existing, and the redness of the flower is
attributed to the crystal also. This is known as *Samsarga-Adhyasa*. Both
these kinds of Adhyasa are present in the mutual superimposition of the
self and the non-self.

Because of the superimposition of the non-self on the self, the existence
of the self is not recognized at all, and the non-self, (that is, the body,
mind and organs), is alone recognized as existing. This is Svarupa-Adhyasa.
In the superimposition of the self on the non-self, only the existence and
consciousness aspects of the self are attributed to the body, mind and
organs. This is Samsarga-Adhyasa. The result of this mutual superimposition
is that every one identifies himself with the body. This is the root cause
of all suffering. Giving up this wrong identification with the body-mind
complex and realizing that one is the self which is beyond all suffering
and all the pairs of opposites such as heat and cold, success and failure
and so on, is Vidya or knowledge. It is this knowledge that is contained in
the Upanishads <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upanishads>.

Svarupa-Adhyasa is also known as *Nirupadhika-Adhyasa* or superimposition
without a limiting adjunct or *Upadhi*. The superimposition of an illusory
snake on a rope is of this type. Upadhi has been defined by *Bhaskararaya* in
his commentary on the name *Nirupadhih* (No.154) in the
*Lalitāsahasranāmabhāsya* as *Upa samipe adadhati sviyam dharmam* that
which imparts its own quality to an object near it. A red flower which
makes a transparent crystal near it look red is an upadhi. The
superimposition of the red colour on the crystal is a superimposition with
upadhi and it is known as *Sopadhika-Adhyasa*, which is the same as
samsarga-adhyasa.
In the superimposition of the snake on the rope, the substratum is
considered to be the rope. But the snake itself is not real, and is a
superimposition on Brahman or pure *Consciousness*. Therefore it is said in
Vedanta that the substratum is *Rajju-upahita chaitanyam* or pure
Consciousness apparently limited by the rope. Every object in this world
should therefore be looked upon as Brahman limited by that object or
Brahman in the form of that object *Sarvam khalu idam brahma.* The illusory
snake is described as *Pratibhasika* or illusory; the rope, like everything
in this world, is *Vyavaharika* or empirical reality. Brahman alone is
*Paramarthika* or absolute reality. The aim of *Vedanta* is to enable one
to attain this realization. //

On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 7:56 PM Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <