[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Re: Shankara says the objective waking world is a projection of Avidya

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 12:08:17 EDT 2023

> Similarly in waking also, my thought right now that I had sushupti does not
> prove that I had sushupti. It is part and parcel of a thought right now.
>

> In DSV, thus, there can be no past or future. All we have is a thought
> right now and the seer of the thought. Nothing else. No waking, no dream,
> no sushupti. Seer and fluctuation in avidyA.
>
> Thus, my point is: can we make a statement like this: avasthA-traya-vichAra
> is valid only in SDV and not in DSV.

It is true that DSV can be really that simple. However, the beauty of DSV
is that it can expand to any degree with the svapnavat example and the only
one needed. If suShupti can be a thought of a past and still appear to be
really so in the past during the dream, so can that be in the analysis in
DSV. Even Acharyas in the sampradAya in the past are also accomodated in
DSV, be it an imagined past with all the imagined jIvas. I'd say that
avasthAtrayavichAra can be primary to DSV because of the svapna example,
which itself is part of the avasthAtraya! The suShupti is being asleep to
one's own svarUpa. There may be more basis to argue that there is no
jAgRdavasthA than suShupti to that effect, because every jAgRt experience
is comparable to a svapna and is collapsed to a svapna after svapnavat. So
jAgRt though there is short lived in DSV analysis. However, suShupti is in
imagined smRti and svapna within such jAgRt is also in imagined smRti.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That, owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */