[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Re: Shankara says the objective waking world is a projection of Avidya

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 07:28:11 EDT 2023

Namaste Sudhanshuji,

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 2:20 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <

> Will drishTi-srishTi prakriyA have sushupti? drishTi is
> vritti-vishishTa-chaitanya. This vritti has to be of avidyA as there is no
> point in accepting an antah-karaNa distinct from avidyA.

Why not? antaHkaraNa is also avidyAkalpita. It plays a role to answer
questions that pop-up as to how is such and such a thing possible without
antaHkaraNa, like your Q. If it has a purpose, let it be imagined in DSV
also, svapnavat. A dreamer has an antaHkaraNa too!

> in
> drishTi-srishTi, the vritti-vishishTa-chaitanya alone is srishTi. Whether
> it is waking or dream or sushupti, there is avidyA-vritti which leads to
> illusion of creation.

DSV has two flavours. This is true only in dRShTiH eva sRShTiH. In the
other, dRShTisamakAlInasRShTiH, there is sRShTi syncing with jIva's dRShTi.
I am pretty sure both can accommodate the vRtti also as kalpita, be that
itself as sRShTi or sRShTi at the same time as when being seen.

> The avasthA-traya appears to be valid in srishTi-drishTi-vAda only. In DSV,
> we have only the present moment. That there was a past is a thought part
> and parcel of the present moment thought.

Even in SDV, there is no IshvarasRShTi for the jIva who is in suShupti. He
too gathers from others that the world existed when he was in suShupti, or
has such pratyabhijnA. So, I do not think there is any issue that in DSV,
suShupti is still possible by avidyA existing with its AvaraNa in suShupti,
but without vikShepa, just like SDV.

> That I had a sushupti is nothing but a thought at the present moment. In
> drishTi-srishTi-vAda, we cannot accept sushupti as a different avasthA and
> analyse it.

Just like memories are possible even in a dream, and dreamer can himself
live multiple days with all three avasthAs, similarly in DSV, all of it is
very much possible. At the present moment in the dream, no one can say he
is dreaming, because he has a complete baggage of memories defining such a
life, without memory of going to sleep triggering such a life.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That, owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */