[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Shankara says the objective waking world is a projection of Avidya

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 04:38:57 EDT 2023

Hari Om V Subramanian ji.

//Thus, we have a very explicit statement from Shankara that the waking
world is a projection by avidya: avidya pratyupasthaapitam.  This is
another way
of saying jagat is mithya.  This is just one instance of the drishti
srishti prakriyaa endorsed by Shankara in many places. //

Will drishTi-srishTi prakriyA have sushupti? drishTi is
vritti-vishishTa-chaitanya. This vritti has to be of avidyA as there is no
point in accepting an antah-karaNa distinct from avidyA. in
drishTi-srishTi, the vritti-vishishTa-chaitanya alone is srishTi. Whether
it is waking or dream or sushupti, there is avidyA-vritti which leads to
illusion of creation.

The avasthA-traya appears to be valid in srishTi-drishTi-vAda only. In DSV,
we have only the present moment. That there was a past is a thought part
and parcel of the present moment thought.

That I had a sushupti is nothing but a thought at the present moment. In
drishTi-srishTi-vAda, we cannot accept sushupti as a different avasthA and
analyse it.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Venkataraghavan ji, Chandramouli ji. Please share your views.

Regards.
Sudhanshu Shekhar.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 1:02 PM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

Additional Commissioner of Income-tax,
Pune

sudhanshushekhar.wordpress.com