[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Sanyasin and his duties toward his ancestors

K Kathirasan brahmasatyam at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 07:34:03 EDT 2023

Namaste Sri ji,

When attempting to interpret statements from shastra-s, it is important that we are familiar with the two lifestyle-s promoted by the Vedas. To provide clarity, Shankara, in his preface to the Bhagavad Gita Bhashya, states "For, the dharma revealed in the Vedas is of two kinds—one characterized by action, and the other by renunciation” and also states that the Rishi parampara is also different for both lifestyles (one by the Prajapati-s and the other by Sanaka, Sanandana etc.). These two lifestyles are essential as they sustain the world by appealing to people of two human dispositions, namely that which hankers Abhyudaya (Artha, Kama & Dharma) and the other Nihshreyasa (Liberation).

So the conflict that you see is only apparent because the Agastya story is meant for those who value Abhyudaya and the other one is meant for those who are called Sankhya-s (the contemplatives or the renunciates) by the Bhagavad Gita (3.3).

Warmest Regards,
Kathirasan K