[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Mandukya bhashya. Ignorance seed in sushupti

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 01:12:34 EDT 2023

Namaste Chandramouli ji

On Sat, 1 Jul 2023, 05:03 H S Chandramouli, <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste Venkat Ji,
>
> Reg // How would one describe the cause in terms of the effect - is it
> the same as the effect? is it different? In advaita we refer to it as
> tAdAtmya, but it is neither bheda nor abheda //

The context of the above statement was Bhaskar ji's question if my
understanding meant that "*bhAvarUpa avidyA .. is neither agrahaNa, nor
anyathAgrahaNa nor saMshaya but something different in bhAvarUpa*", to
which I said that I didn't hold they avidyA is different to agrahaNa etc,
because in one sense it can be said to be the same and in another sense it
can be said to be different. For which Sri Venkataraman asked how, and I
made the above remark.

Can you please give any reference to this. In my understanding, Cause is
> not described in terms of the effect at all. It is not necessary either.

True, but the context is the above.

Effect is the manifest form of the cause which is always unmanifest. I
> don’t think tAdAtmya relationship between cause and effect is correct  when
> both of them enjoy the same level of Reality. samasattA (समसत्ता). In
> Advaita SidhAnta, only AdhyAsika tAdAtmya (आध्य्सिक तादात्म्य)  is
> admitted as for example as stated in BSB 2-2-38 copied below.
>
> // ब्रह्मवादिनः कथमिति चेत् , न; तस्य तादात्म्यलक्षणसम्बन्धोपपत्तेः ।//
>
> //  brahmavAdinaH kathamiti chet , na; tasya
> tAdAtmyalakShaNasambandhopapatteH //

Here Shankara is saying that there is the tAdAtmya sambandha between mAyA
and Brahman and so also between jIva and Ishvara. This is AdhyAsika
tAdAtmya only. The sambandha between cause and effect that is admitted in
advaita is such a tAdAtmya (bheda sahiShNu abheda) only. There is a lengthy
discussion in laghuchandrikA about this. Will look it up when I have time,
but it is not really germane to the point being discussed.

This pertains to the relationship between jagat and Brahman wherein Brahman
> is addressed as the vivarta kAraNa for jagat. Brahman and jagat enjoy
> different levels  of Reality (विषमसत्ता).
>
> Regards

As I said AdhyAsika tAdAtmya is not being denied. The naiyyAyika tAdAtmya
is denied.

Anyway bringing it back to current discussion - there is no need to take
the position that bhAvarUpa avidyA is *different* to agrahaNa,
anyathAgrahaNa and samshaya, for reasons stated above. As the bhAmatikAra
says - न खल्वनन्यत्वमित्यभेदं ब्रूमः, किन्तु भेदं व्यासेधाम.

Regards
Venkatraghavan