[Advaita-l] 'Prana' as Brahman

Kaushik Chevendra chevendrakaushik at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 03:24:01 EST 2023

Namaste sir

> Shankara calls Prana prathamaja and says 'since he is the first-born,
> there is no one to give him samskaras.' Hence the mantra says 'vraatya' =
>
> 1.

> Brāhman,
>
> or
>
> man
>
> of
>
> the
>
> three
>
> first
>
> classes,
>
> in
>
> whose
>
> youth
>
> the
>
> customary
>
> observances
>
> have
>
> been
>
> omitted,
>
> and
>
> who
>
> has
>
> not
>
> received
>
> his
>
> investiture
>
> with
>
> the
>
> sacred
>
> thread. This word has a negative sense. Here it is used not to denigrate
> Prana but as a stuti. But the first-born epithet is there for Prana =
> prathamaja.
>

> regards
>
> subbu

Prana is identified here with prajapati. He is also rudra while he does
destruction. He in his saumya roopa is the protector. He in his creation
roopa is the first born brahma. He has been identified with all the various
roopas not "just" brahma.

As the stuti of Atman is being done here. If it be argued that the deity
brahma/prana then it must obey the rules acharya puts forward in the BSB as
well. The Supreme lord who is the Atman of all is alone free from sin
(Vishnu is quoted here) . As we know that brahma is not free from sin from
brihadaranyaka bhasya it can't be him.