[Advaita-l] About jnanadhyasa and arthadhyasa

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 11:54:20 EST 2023

On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 4:25 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Subbu ji
> You said that the buddhi idea in atasmin tadbuddhi is indicative of
> jnAnAdhyAsa, can we say similarly that the other definition viz., paratra
> pUrvadRShta avabhAsaH as pointing to the dRShTa avabhAsaH or an apparent
> *object* seen, i.e.,  arthAdhyAsa?
>
> I remember such an idea being mentioned but kindly correct if mistaken.

Dear Raghav ji,  Namaste.

Yes, exactly, what you say is correct.  In fact I recollected the other
passage you cite and thought so.  The example Shankara gives there:
shuktikaa hi rajatavat avabhAsate... is again an example of arthAdhyasa.

warm regards
subbu