[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 07:22:19 EST 2023

Namaste Sudhanshu ji,
Thanks for the references.

From your quotes, it appears that the vivaraNakAra is providing two
possible options for the superimposition of ahamkAra onto the self. In the
first alternative,  ahamkAra is superimposed onto the self, and in the
second, there is a second, mithyA ahamkAra created in the self.

The opponent alleges two defects in the first alternative - there is no
consonance between the example and exemplified and that this is tantamount
to anyathAkhyAti.

The siddhAntin responds by saying that the mind along with the ego is
superimposed onto the self and therefore it is anyathAkhyAti.

However, more importantly to our discussion, he goes on to say
अन्यसन्निधानादन्यस्मिन्मिथ्याधर्मावभास इत्येतावति दृष्ठान्तः - where an
attribute present in one locus falsely appears in another due to the
proximity of the former object, and that is the limit to which the example
and exemplified are linked.

In the tattva deepana commentary to the vivaraNa, there is the first
reference to the creation of a mithyA redness in the crystal in describing
the opponent's objection.

However interestingly, this sentence occurs in the commentary - यद्यपि
मन्मते धर्मान्तरोत्पत्तिः; तथाऽपि त्वन्मते सर्वत्राऽऽरोपमात्रोपगमाद्
दृष्टान्तासिद्धिमाशङ्कय दूषणान्तरमाह - अन्यथेति - seems to say that the
creation of a new mithyA attribute is the opponent's view (manmatam, as the
opponent is speaking) whereas only the false association is admitted in
both the example and exemplified (sarvatra AropamAtra upagamAt) by the
siddhAntin's.

It is difficult to be 100% certain of who represents "manmatam" and
"tvanmatam" from some quotes without the context of where they occur in the
overall text, but because the word anyathA occurs in the opponent's
statement in the original, it appears that the commentary is explaining the
thinking of the opponent - and it is the opponent who holds the creation of
a new dharma, not the siddhAntin.

With that as a general understanding, this is how I understand the text.

1) On the face of it, it appears the opponent holds the creation of a new
mithyA redness in the crystal. The siddhAntin holds to the false appearance
redness in the crystal due to the proximity of the flower (ie a transposing
of the flower's redness).

2)  This leads him to allege a non-consonance between the example and the
exemplified, because the siddhAntin holds that a new mithyA ego is not
created in the self. Hence, नायं दृष्टान्तः - the crystal where a new
redness is created ( according to the opponent)  cannot be an example for
the self and the ego because a new ego is not created (in the first
example).

3) Then , he argues from the siddhAntin's position of where no new redness
is created in the crystal, but a redness from the flower is merely
transferred erroneously onto the crystal. Here he alleges anyathAkhyAti.
Hence, दृष्टान्तासिद्धिमाशङ्कय दूषणान्तरमाह - अन्यथेति.

The response from the siddhAntin to these two charges is अहङ्कारस्य स्वधर्म
सहितस्यैवात्मन्यध्यस्ततया मिथ्यात्वान्नान्यथाख्याति प्रसङ्गः - this is not
anyathAkhyAti where superimposition is not admitted. There is a
superimposition of the mind along with its attribute, hence it is mithyA
and not anyathAkhyAti, which alleges that an attribute elsewhere appears
somewhere else because of alaukika sannikarSha.

As Chandramouli ji says in the other email, even where there is no new
redness created in the crystal, there is anirvachanIya khyAti to the
sambandha of the redness and the crystal - the sambandha is not asat,
because the crystal appears red. It is not sat, because the sambandha is
sublated when the flower is removed. The appearance is sadasat vilakshaNam.

The consonance between the example and exemplified is limited to
अन्यसन्निधानादन्यस्मिन्मिथ्याधर्मावभास इत्येतावति दृष्ठान्तः (sic) - the
false appearance of an attribute in an object due to the proximity of
another object is the extent to which there is consonance between the
example and exemplified.

In the case of the ego, mind and the self, there is a svarUpa adhyAsa
between the mind and the self which leads to the appearance of the ego that
belongs to the mind to appear in the self. In the case of the crystal,
there is a samsargAdhyAsa leading to the false appearance of the redness of
the flower onto the crystal, without there being a tAdAtmyAdhyAsa between
the crystal and the flower.

So in general, the example and the exemplified are different because there
are two different adhyAsa-s taking place. However, the vivaraNakAra says
that the utility of the example is limited to saying that an attribute of
one object falsely appears elsewhere, and to that extent the example
applies.

In my view, that is not in contradiction with the VP.

Now, this response is entirely based on the passages quoted by you. I may
have misunderstood the intent of the authors, but without knowing the
context of where exactly in the book this appears, it is difficult to do
much more than that at this stage.

If you want me to review further, please provide page numbers / editions of
the books where these passages occur. I would be happy to review them in
detail and get back to you.

Kind regards,
Venkatraghavan