[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 04:36:30 EST 2023

Namaste Venkat Ji,

Reg  // buddhyA parikalpitena rather than buddhau parikalpitena //,

They need not be understood as being mutually exclusive. buddhyA
parikalpitena can be understood as the manifestation of deep rooted
conviction *in* the mind, buddhau parikalpitena. In fact, deep rooted
conviction *in* the mind, buddhau parikalpitena,  would be more appropriate
in the current context, it being svAbhAvika, naisargika.

Reg  // That is why Shankaracharya mentions the mRtghaTa and the rajjusarpa
examples in the same sentence (because there is something additional he
wishes to convey with the second example) //,

Notice the use of the word आदि(Adi)(etcetera) in  रज्ज्वादि सर्पाद्याकारेण
in respect of vivarta vikAra as against मृद्घटाद्याकारेण in respect of
pariNAma vikAra. It is used in respect of both रज्जु (rajju) and सर्प(sarpa)
in one while it is used only in respect of घट(ghata) but not in respect of
मृत् (mRRit) in the other.  Multiplicity is seen simultaneously in the case
of  mRtghaTAdi (such as pot, lump etc), and hence difference between them
can be  perceived by the mind. But multiplicity is not seen simulataneously
if only the standard rajjusarpa illustration is considered for vivarta
vikAra even if आदि(Adi)(etcetera) word is used in respect of sarpa. Rope is
perceived either as snake or as garland or as stick or as crack in the
wall, only one at a time. Difference cannot be perceived. Hence रज्ज्वादि  in
रज्ज्वादि सर्पाद्याकारेण  is intended to be the equivalent for घटादि of
मृद्घटाद्याकारेण. रज्ज्वादि represents all objects simultaneously perceived
at any given time, all of which are vivarta vikAra. सर्पाद्याकारेण is to
convey vivarta vikAra. They are all conceived as different from each other
by the mind though in reality they are all सत्(sat) only. That in my
understanding is what Sri Bhagavatpada intends to convey by mentioning  the
mRtghaTa and the rajjusarpa examples in the same sentence.

Regards